Friday, April 13, 2012

April: Style Updates...BantuKnots and Shingling Curly Girl Staples

Follow my blog with Bloglovin
April is a great month....And I'm hoping to have a few great hair days. Its been nine months since I decided to fully cut my hair to its natural texture. At this point I'm pleased my hair is long enough (neck length) to try out my old favorite way to coil my hair...Bantu Knots. Initially I was hesitant to try the bantu knots on natural hair shorter than shoulder length, because of the shrinkage/frizz factors. However I'm glad I did try it on neck length hair because the knot out provided a defined coil. It didn't get frizzy when the hair was separated and fluffed, which tends to happen when I try twist outs.

I clarified using the Aztec Bentonite Clay mixed with ACV and Olive Oil. Once that was fully rinsed I deep conditioned using the As I Am Elation Hydration moisture mask. After allowing that to steam on the hair for 30 min's I rinsed with cool water while fully detangling the hair. Working in 2 sections I applied the KimmayTube leave in conditioner and pure argan oil to seal the ends. To set the Bantu Knots I used Shea Moisture Hair Smoothie and thin hair pins to secure the coils. I allowed the bantu knots to remain in for 2 days, applied Gro Aut Oil to my scalp and styled with scarves. On the 3rd day I did a bantu knot out style, and re co-washed on the 4th day.

On days that I simply do not have a lot of time to bantu or coil hair I have found a new luv for shingling.


A big factor in my new found luv for shingling has to do with my tools. I do not like using a fine tooth combs on my hair...it just seems to tear at it. But my trusty Denman brush does an excellent job shingling my hair without damaging or pulling it. In the above pics the hair is still wet...
  I did a quick co-wash in the shower using As I Am Coconut Co-Wash and >Because my hair is type 4 and very thick<...while in the shower I pull my hair into 2 sections. Upper and lower, each section is held with a clip. This allows me to smooth my edges and wrap the elastic around my poof easier.
Applied KimmayTube leave-in made with Knot Today detangler and scrunched it thru the hair. I used argan serum on my ends to help eliminate frizzing while the hair dries throughout the day. I then used Miss Jessie's Curly Pudding to shingle the hair in the poof. Working in sections I gently brushed the hair from tip to root.
*note* The edges could have been smoothened with a boar bristle brush to get a "neater" appearance.
It has been 9 months since I have straightened my hair...I have 3 more months until my 1yr anniversary milestone.
 Patiently waiting, hoping for the healthiest hair I can grow.



No comments:

Post a Comment