Friday, May 18, 2012

Product Review: Hair Rules...Not all Rules are Bad

Follow my blog with Bloglovin
 Hair Rules is a line of haircare developed by J. Dickey `aka` Haircare Guru and author of HairRules haircare guide. I personally have wanted to try HairRules for a long time because it is free of paraben, sulfates, sodium chloride, artificial colorants etc....Not all haircare marketed towards natural haircare are like this. Plus of course if you view their website you can see the beautiful before and after testimonies. I tend to take those with a grain of salt...I'm sure some people get those results, but not everyone...and I tend to fall into the not everyone category often. http://www.hairrules.com/index_flash.cfm
 One reason that has hindered me a bit has been the cost $$...I'm not cheap, but neither is this product.lol. Average cost for a 8oz bottle of any of the products is about $20.00+. Travel sized 2oz bottles are also available for about $10 bucks. Keeping in mind its recommended to saturate and be heavy handed with the product, also means buying it often at this price.
 However fortunately for me I had a stoke of shoppers luck! I was in Ulta browsing after my 2nd Big Chop *yup I'm starting over yet again*. Anyway post BC I felt the need to try new products this time around, so I looked thru all the  natural curly hair products. I was tempted buy Mazani or Curly Dejavu...but just wasn't impressed with the ingredients. I happen to walk thru the clearance and noticed all the Hair Rule products were 50% off...so of course I saw that as a sign to finally try the entire line:0)

I purchased the following products:
L-R: Kinky Curly Cream, Leave-in Conditioner, Quench Conditioner, Daily Cleanse no sud Shampoo....
Not shown but also purchased: Hydrating Finishing Cream, Blow Out your Kinks Straight Styling Cream.
I wanted to know the full effect of the product as a complete line so I use each of the products on every wash day. Eventually I will probably only use the Daily Cleanse no sud Shampoo on heavier product days, and simply co-wash with Quench Conditioner.
 I'm following the rules
#1 Wet hair and apply the Daily Cleanse Cream. What I enjoy about this shampoo is that its so rich and really doesn't strip the hair. Nice and clean...but not squeaky clean is good.
#2 Rinse then saturate the hair with Quench Ultra Rich Conditioner. The ingredients are what I adore about this conditioner along with its moisture boost power. Shea Butter, Honey, Glycerin, Coconut, and Olive Oil...this conditioner delivers and I think is worth the price. I started with a small bottle just to give it a try...and went back for the large bottle after the first use! Awesome stuff...plus of course it doubles as a deep conditioner. Just put on a plastic cap and sit under the dryer for 20 min's. Quench has landed directly on my staple list.
#3 Cool water rinse and apply Nourishment Leave-In Conditioner. I like this leave-in because it only requires a nickel sized amount to be highly effective, plus it contains coconut oil which my hair loves. Just rub it in from tip to root...I apply it while I'm still in the shower. Its suggested that its applied to wet hair.
#4 Follow with Kinky Curling Cream...or the wave mousse, whichever is best for your hair type. I have type 4 coils so I chose the Kinky cream. Its stated to elongate, stretch and define tightly wound kinks transforming them into bouncy spiral curls. I currently cannot vouch that this cream does all of that at the moment, due to I recently cut my hair. BUT I can tell a difference in the definition of the coils of my hair...
Wet Hair Results 
Normally it would require the use of Eco gel and several other products to get this type of coil definition. These pictures are the results of using the HairRules system only. Once I apply the Kinky Curl Cream and set the coils/style, I don't touch my hair again until it is completely dry. I prefer to air dry, but could also use the blowdryer with a diffuser attachment if  time is limited and need my hair to set faster. Once dry I apply a light oil to my scalp and gently massage. Right now I use pure argan oil mixed with peppermint oil as my preferred scalp mixture.

Hair is Dry and the Coils are softly set and frizz free
 The next day my hair is actually still nice and soft, just to refreshen I spritz it with purified water and apply a small amount of the Hydrating Finishing Cream, which is rule #5.
Right now Rule#5 isn't too vital to my hair because it is so short I normally wash it daily. I have tried the hydrating cream on my hair and its a wonderful daily leave in. When my hair is longer I think I'm going to fall in love with it. Its not to heavy, but packs alot of moisture power.
When its time to use heat I look forward to updating how Rule #6 performs.
#6 Blow your Kinks is the heat protection and styling aid designed to help kinky hair not get frizzy and damaged during the straightening process. Once my hair is neck length again I will give this a try:0)

I must say Im upset I did not try this product one sooner. Thumbs up! on all of the products I've tried so far. I look forward to seeing great results as my hair gets longer.


1 comment:

  1. I have been checking out a few of your stories and i can state pretty good stuff. I will definitely bookmark your blog
    sewer jetter

    ReplyDelete